Southwestern Orzo Stuffed Peppers:
- 3/4 c. Southwestern orzo, uncooked
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and
diced into small pieces
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 20 oz (1.25 lbs) lean ground
- 1/2 large yellow or red onion,
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 c. low sodium black beans,
drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c. black olives, sliced
- 1/2 c. red salsa (chunky is fine
if you want some tomato pieces in it)
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro + more for
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt + more for taste if
- 7 large bell peppers, cut long
ways and seeded
- 1 3/4 c. reduced fat shredded Colby
- Toppings, if desired (avocado, hot
sauce, sour cream, more salsa)
- Bring a medium and small
pot of water to a boil and cook the Southwestern orzo according to package
instructions in one and diced sweet potatoes in the other. Once the sweet
potatoes are at a boil, reduce to medium and cover, continuing to cook for
about 6 minutes or until fork tender. Drain from water and set aside in a bowl.
Another option is to roast the diced sweet potatoes with some oil in a 400 F
oven for about 20 minutes (continuously check on it as time can vary with size
of potatoes). Once the orzo is done, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile waiting for the
orzo and sweet potatoes to cook, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium
heat. Add onions, jalapeño and garlic. Add in ground turkey and sauté until the
meat is completely cooked and veggies are soft.
- Gently stir in the orzo,
sweet potatoes, black beans, olives, salsa, 1/2 c water, chili powder, cumin,
dried oregano, 1/2 c. cilantro, salt, pepper and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Lay bell peppers cut side
up in baking pans or large oven-proof skillets. Stuff each pepper with the orzo
mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until fork tender. Uncover
and top each pepper with about 2 tbsp. cheese and bake for 5 minutes longer.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Garnish with more cilantro and your
favorite toppings if desired (avocado, hot sauce, sour cream, salsa).